Thursday, January 11, 2007

Top Chef....Did I hear that correctly???

Last night on Top Chef, the final 6 contestants broke up into two teams to create a restaurant concept in an unfinished space, as well as a four course meal for 24 patrons. One team comprised of Sam, my personal favorite, Mike, a local boy to us here in Sacramento and finally, the evil Ilan, a rather immature fellow, opted for a rustic Italian concept. I was actually looking forward to seeing their recipes since I was such a Sam fan... But, they dropped the bomb of all bombs. As they listed off their various menu items, I was grateful for my Tivo.

"...and for dessert, we are serving Watermelon "Gnocchi" with Cabrales Blue Cheese and Asiago Cream" (which they "bruleed" before serving).

What? Did I hear that correctly? I played it again. Yes, I did hear that.... I could actually feel my stomach curdle. But, I had such faith in Sam, that I believed that he could pull it off. Up to this point, everything that he has made, I have wanted to eat. Then, I got a look at the final product. If you are at all squeamish please avert your eyes...



Innovation and creativity are the cornerstones of any great chef... (Ferran Adria is one of my favorite chefs) Food is one thing that is experienced with all five of our senses. But, with great power comes great responsibility, any chef worth their weight cannot stray from the most basic of rules.....bottom line, it has to taste good. I loved every ingredient in this dish; watermelon, blue cheese, asiago cream....but together??? And, I was really having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that they bruleed it at the end. Does this mean that the watermelon was now.....warmish???? Luke warm watermelon and blue cheese? And to top it all off, they didn't serve any alcohol whatsoever... Normally, when confronted with something that doesn't taste good, I can usually count on wine, or beer to mask the flavors on my tongue.

Thankfully, Sam was spared and our local boy, Michael was sent packing. My hope is that Sam took a lesson from the lashing he received from the judges table and we NEVER have to see a monstrosity like that dish ever again.....

2 comments:

pinknest said...

i know!!! disgusting! but i have to say, i'd still probably try it if someone offered it to me.

Christo Gonzales said...

I was reading back and had to say something...gorgonzola and manchego would have worked better but still there is not enough umppf in watermelon to be able to carry cheese